Bali ● Indonesia: Pick Pocketed By A Monkey

Saturday, July 19


Bali is incredible. But I'll get to that. First, let me explain how a monkey robbed me...

In the morning we left our hotel, Rimba Jimbaran, and drove to Uluwatu Temple. A "tour guide" who wanted to lead us around the temple for money warned us about a monkey problem inside. I had read about scams like his, so I kindly declined. Mistake #1.

Within five minutes, Lauren and I stumbled across packs of monkeys everywhere. All of a sudden, I'm taking a picture and my sister (who developed a primate fear today) tells me in a panic that there's a monkey behind me. I try to spin around when I realize my unzipped purse (mistake #2) feels really heavy... Because he has literally stuck his entire hand in my purse. After making awkward eye contact with the little guy, I pull back really fast (mistake #3), and out comes his hand. And my shiny iPhone. 

By now a crowd has gathered to watch him toss and gnaw on my phone. Thankfully, a sweet local lady had some snacks in her purse and he finally gave the phone up. So basically, I got pick pocketed while traveling for the first time ever. By a monkey. 

Although mostly hilarious, it's no surprise that the day could only go uphill from there. It was smooth sailing as we stopped at Padang Beach, Single Fin (a surfer's hangout) in Uluwatu, Ayana Resort's swimming pool and Rock Bar, and Sardine for dinner. 

I can only hope the next couple days in this beautiful place are as exciting as today. Maybe just with a little less monkey business.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |