Mount Pilatus ● Switzerland

Thursday, May 16


When I first starting planning the Lucerne portion of the trip, I discovered the idea of a half-day trip to Mount Pilatus. The 7,000-foot mountain stands above Lake Lucerne and several small towns, and the only way to get to the peak is by cable car or cog railroad. 

This afternoon, we purchased round-trip tickets that took us away from the city, up the cog railroad (the steepest in the world), into the main shelter area at the top, back down in a cable car and finally back to Lucerne's Central Station via bus. Unfortunately for us the day was super cloudy. And contrary to what many locals told us would happen, the clouds didn't lift at the top.

So we're climbing up the side of the mountain in the cog railroad train, and we can see water and houses dotting the green below. Suddenly, we head into the clouds with zero visibility. When we finally emerge, we're surrounded by snow. I can honestly say I was not prepared for a scene like that in the middle of May. My advice to anyone who wants to visit Mount Pilatus: go in late summer, and make sure it's the most beautiful day. We heard the view is unbeatable.

Tomorrow morning my mom leaves for the second half of her trip, and I will head off to the second half of mine on Saturday. To celebrate our final night together, we had an amazing dinner at one of the hotels by the river. Traveling with my mom is something I will always remember, and I am so grateful to have had her by my side for the past week.






View from our hotel in Old Town Lucerne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |